Cultivate nurturing family relationships with communication, empathy, understanding to foster a loving, supportive, positive home environment
Quality time and family relationships
- Use everyday time together to talk and share a laugh.
- Have time together when devices are turned off and out of sight. This helps to keep everyone focused on what you’re doing or talking about at the time.
- Have one-on-one chats with each family member to strengthen individual relationships.
- Do regular, fun things together as a family.
Positive communication and family relationships
- When your child or partner wants to talk, try to stop what you’re doing and listen with full attention. Give people time to express their points of view or feelings.
- Be open to talking about difficult things – like mistakes – and all kinds of feelings, including anger, joy, frustration, fear and anxiety.
- Encourage your children with praise.
- Let everyone in the family know that you love and appreciate them.
Teamwork and family relationships
- Share household chores.
- Include children in decisions about things like family activities and holidays.
- Create family rules together that state clearly how your family wants to look after and treat its members.
- Work together to solve problems.
Appreciation for each other and family relationships
- Take an interest in each other’s lives. For example, make time to go to each other’s sporting events, drama performances, art shows and so on.
- Include everyone in conversation when you’re talking about the day’s events.
- Share family stories and memories.
- Acknowledge each other’s differences, talents and abilities, and use each other’s strengths.